Imagine the excitement and emotion when bringing a new baby home for the first time. You may have firsthand experience with a baby brother, sister, or cousin. If not, try to imagine what it would be like for a tiny new life to join your family as we watch this video together.
Share the following video [10:11; start at 5:32; stop at 6:59].
Baby Comes Home
- What are some ways that families welcome babies home from the hospital? (Answers will vary; family members gather at the house, balloons are put in the yard, etc.)
- How do parents or guardians prepare the house for the new baby? (Answers will vary; paint a room, set up a crib, buy diapers and other supplies, make sure the house is safe, etc.)
- What do people do to celebrate the birth of a baby? (Answers will vary; send announcements, share photos and videos, have parties, etc.)
You do not remember the day you came home from the hospital as a newborn, but someone was full of joy over your birth. Someone was overwhelmed with love and watched over you. There may have been tears of joy. There were probably a lot of smiles. There was probably some fear, too, with adults a bit nervous about taking care of such a precious and tiny being.
Our Lord and Savior Jesus was a baby once.
- When you think of Jesus as a baby, what do you imagine He was like? (Answers will vary.)
- Imagine being Mary and Joseph, knowing your Son is going to be Jesus. Would you prepare for His coming any differently than for the birth of any other child? If so, how? If not, why? (Answers will vary.)
The world was in need of a Savior. Generations waited hundreds of years for the promised Messiah. Finally, the day arrived; Jesus was born! Let’s celebrate as we reflect on the story of Jesus’ birth.