Some people are comfortable standing up front and speaking to an audience. Some are comfortable speaking to a small group. Some are comfortable raising their hand to ask a question in a classroom. Others are anxious when speaking to one person who they do not know well and even more nervous speaking to a group of people. If you are afraid of speaking in front of others, you are not alone. The majority of people are afraid of public speaking. Let’s watch this video [2:41]:
Snoopy | Public Speaking | BRAND NEW Peanuts Animation | Videos for Kids | Cartoons
Charlie Brown was frazzled because he was assigned an oral report. He said public speaking made his legs shake and his hands sweat. He felt that he always made a fool of himself when he had to speak in front of people.
- When have you had to speak in front of others at school, at home, at church, or elsewhere?
- How did you feel in the days before you had to go up front?
- What did you experience when you finally stood up front?
Linus suggested that Charlie Brown needed to be more prepared before speaking in front of people.
- How do you personally prepare before doing anything that might make you feel a bit nervous?
Even with preparation, Charlie Brown was still nervous when he stood up front to give his oral report.
- What suggestions do you have for Charlie Brown?
- What suggestions do you have for your family members or peers who might be asked to stand up and share during a church service someday?
The disciple Peter was not a professional public speaker, but somehow he was able to speak with confidence. Let’s find out how Peter was able to speak boldly for Jesus in front of a crowd of people.