- When someone you know and love is seriously sick or hurt, what is your first response? How do you try to help them? (Accept all reasonable responses.)
Our response may be to call a doctor, drive the person to urgent care, bring the person medicine, or ask an adult to help the person who is in need.
Although our first response to someone being sick or hurt may be to care for their physical needs, we can also turn to our Heavenly Father for help in times of need.
Read this video transcript out loud to your students [including the second paragraph above the video and the paragraphs following the video]:
Trusting in the Power of His Name
- How did Isabela respond to her father’s illness? (She prayed for his healing.)
- Why do you think Isabela responded to her father’s illness by going to prayer immediately? (Accept all reasonable responses. Answers may include that Isabela realized God was able to heal her dad.)
- Do you ever pray for God to help those in need? What kinds of things do you include in those prayers? (Accept all reasonable responses. Answers may include things like praying for people to be healed, praying for them to know Jesus, praying for their needs to be met, etc.)
- Have you—or someone you are close too—ever been sick or in an accident where you realized things were very grim? How did you react? Was prayer something you thought about doing immediately, or was it kind of an afterthought? (Answers will vary.)
Although God does not always answer our prayers in the ways we expect, we can always pray to Him for help. He cares about our needs! Let’s see what part prayer plays in our needs and lives today.