As students join your group today, share a bizarre but true event that happened to you. If you do not have a story, feel free to share one or both of the following true examples that happened to friends of this Real Life Downloaded lesson author, provided here:
- A widowed young man sought out a female companion online only to find that she and his deceased wife had at one time been bridesmaids together at a wedding of a mutual friend.
- Two high school friends who hadn’t seen each other in 20 years realized on a road trip that they were both pumping gasoline next to each other in a state where neither of them lived…but both of them just happened to be passing through on a family vacation!
If time permits, invite your students to share hard-to-believe stories of their own with the rest of the group.
- What Christians believe to be God-ordained encounters many people like to call “coincidences.” Why do you think this is so? (Answers will vary. Students may observe that some people don’t believe in God or don’t believe in a God who is actively involved in people’s lives.)
The following video clip is about bizarre facts that are hard to believe. They are true though. We’ll discuss later about what was hardest to believe!
Share the following video [3:49]:
25 Unbelievably Hard to Believe Facts
- What hard-to-believe fact did you find most surprising? (Answers will vary.)
- Why do you think we don’t know more about many of these bizarre facts? (Accept all reasonable answers; there are no wrong answers.)
Learning interesting facts is just that: Interesting!
However, believing bizarre facts about a risen Jesus—today’s lesson topic—is more than interesting. It leads to a changed life, a faith in God who is in heaven, and awareness of how important it is to share this hard-to-believe, yet life-changing story with others. Let’s look into it.