In many communities, people tend to go by their middle name, rather than their first. Many celebrities and public figures tend to go by a middle name or alias to fit with their brand or improve their public recognition. Some of us may also go by a nickname or shortened version of our names.
- Do you or any family members go by a different name than your given name? (Accept all reasonable responses.)
Share the following video clip with your students [8:30; play as much of the video as time allows]:
Guess The Celebrities REAL Name | Can You Correctly Guess What These Celebrities Names Are IRL?
- Why do you think these celebrities don’t use their real names? (Answers will vary; some may speculate that their original names are difficult to pronounce, are not “flashy” enough, or are not easily remembered, etc.)
- Do you think that these stars would have become just as famous if they were known by their real names? Why or why not? (Answers will vary; accept all answers.)
- Why do you think names are so important? (Allow students to speculate; accept all reasonable answers.)
- Has there ever been a time when someone made fun of your name or used it in a rude way? How did that make you feel? (Encourage students to share about times when peers made up nicknames based on their real names or made fun of their names in other ways. Be prepared to share your own experience or the experience of a friend or classmate when you were young.)
Today we’re going to talk about the most important Name there is and why misusing it is a sign of disrespect.