- What does it mean to be faithful? (Answers might include: dedicated; loyal; true to your belief or cause; etc.)
- What are some examples of when you’ve shown faithfulness? (Answers may include: I’m a loyal friend, I would never betray a friend’s trust and I’ll stay friends with someone no matter what; I’m dedicated to my baseball team; etc. Students may reference being faithful to God. Acknowledge but do not comment on their responses.)
Remaining faithful and dedicated to people, causes, or jobs is important in life. It lets others know we can be trusted and we won’t give up, no matter what comes our way.
Twenty-nine-year-old Katie Bouman has remained faithful to her research and study of black holes in the universe for the past six years. Because of her hard work and dedication to her job as a computer scientist, she helped develop the algorithm which revealed to the world the first-ever image of a black hole. Let’s see this incredible discovery:
Show this clip to your students [2:03]:
Meet the 29-year-old woman behind 1st black hole image
- This discovery took many years of dedication and hard work. Do you think Katie ever wanted to give up on this project? Why or why not? (Answers will vary.)
- Katie was faithful to the project—how about to her coworkers? What observations could you make about her faithfulness to others during this long process? (Answers might include: She didn’t try to take all the credit for the discovery. She knew it took many to make this discovery; Katie made sure they received the credit for their work to the project as well.)
- Have you ever experienced a time where you wanted to quit because something was taking too long? Tell us about it. (Students might mention wanting to drop out of a sports team because it took up all their free time, or wanting to quit band because they weren’t the best at playing their instrument, etc. Be sure to prepare your own answer to share.)
Katie stuck with this project for six years! Can you imagine how many times she may have wondered if she would ever create the right algorithm? Undoubtedly there was a lot of trial and error—she may have thought her hard work was never going to pay off.
Remaining faithful can be hard! If someone disappoints you, or if something is taking too long, it’s easy to want to walk away and forget about it. It takes strength of character to stick with something no matter what. Today we’re going to talk about an extraordinary example of faithfulness in the life of Joseph.
29-year-old Katie Bouman ‘didn’t know anything about black holes’-then she helped capture the first photo of one