- How do you feel when someone takes something from you that is very important or special? (Answers may vary: angry, want to get back at a person, want revenge, etc.)
In September 2018, a 26-year-old man was shot in his apartment by an off-duty female police officer. A year later, she was found guilty of murder. After the sentencing, the victim’s younger brother spoke to the former officer in the courtroom. Let’s see what he had to say to her.
Play the following video [3:06. You could stop after 1:57]:
Botham Jean’s brother hugs ex-officer Amber Guyger after sentencing
Brandt Jean could have talked about how Amber Guyger took his brother from his family. He could have told her that he hoped she rotted in jail for her actions. Instead he talked about wanting the best for her. He loved her as a person, and he wanted her to give her life for Christ.
- How was the brother’s reaction a surprise? (Answers may vary).
- What type of a reaction would you have expected? (Answers may vary; hate, dislike, disgust, wanted her to pay, wanted something bad to happen to her, etc.)
- When have you had those kinds of reactions toward someone who hurt or angered you? (Answers may vary.)
- Have you ever wondered if someone else, or even God, has had similar thoughts or feelings about something you did or said? (Answers may vary.)
Brandt Jean gave forgiveness to Amber Guyger with open arms. Today we are going to talk about the way God treats a person, no matter what he or she has done.