- Think of a time when you helped someone. What happened? (Answers will vary. Students may talk about helping a friend, family member, someone at school, or a neighbor.)
- Can you think of a time when someone helped you? Tell us about it. (Answers will vary.)
Many people in our world need help. This has especially been true during the past two months as countries around the world have been working to slow the spread of the Coronavirus.
Some people need physical things such as food, clothes, or medicine. Others need emotional and spiritual help such as encouragement, kindness, and comfort. If we look around at our neighbors and the people we know, it’s easy to see people who need help.
Let’s watch a video about a brother and a sister who helped someone recently.
Share the following video [1:14]:
Ohio Children Remarkable Act of Kindness For Self-Isolated Elderly Neighbor
- What did the children do to help their neighbor? (The brother and sister played their instruments for their neighbor who couldn’t leave her house.)
- How do you think their neighbor felt after receiving her private concert? (Most will think she felt cared for, glad to have something to do and some social contact even though it was at a distance.)
- Why was it important to help the elderly neighbor not feel so isolated? (Answers will vary.)
- Do you think these children would have been able to think of and carry out this act of kindness without their mother’s help? (Accept all reasonable answers.)
In the video, the children’s mother had the idea for them to play their cellos for their neighbor. The mom probably called the neighbor to see if she was up for the visit and then took them to the neighbor’s house to help them accomplish their act of kindness. We have Someone with us at all times that helps us help others. Let’s discover what Jesus taught us about the Holy Spirit.