- What are things we can trade with others? (Answers might include: baseball cards. our lunches, doing chores for money, etc.)
- What is the best trade you ever made? Why? (Answers may include: Trading rooms with my brother, because now I have more room for my stuff; trading my favorite jersey for an autographed baseball, because I’ve always wanted an autograph from that player; etc.)
Recently the NFL world was rocked by a shocking trade during the off-season. The New York Giants traded their star wide receiver, Odell Beckham Jr., to the Cleveland Browns. The news stunned the sports world and fans of both teams. Since OBJ is one of the biggest stars in the NFL right now, Browns’ fans were ecstatic. Recordings surfaced online of grown men screaming and one man even crying over the trade. Let’s watch another fan’s viral reaction:
Please play the following clip [1:00]:
Cleveland Browns fan so excited about Odell Beckham Jr. trade, neighbors call 911-abc7ny.com
- Why do you think this Browns fan was so excited? (Possible answers: He never expected his team would get someone so good; he was totally surprised by the news; he’s hoping they go to the Super Bowl now; etc.)
- How do you think the New York Giants fans reacted to the loss of such a great player? (Answers will vary but might include: They were probably angry and confused over why they would do such a thing, etc.)
- Have you ever had a memorable reaction to something you were excited about? Tell us about it. (Students may share things similar to these examples: My mom telling us she was going to have a baby—I screamed so loud, my best friend being in the same class as me at school—we were jumping up and down and hugging because we were so excited, etc.)
This was an incredible trade. It was unexpected, shocking, and emotional for so many people. Browns fans suddenly have newfound hope that maybe this year they’ll make it to the Super Bowl. A trade like this brings new life to everyone involved.
Today, we’re going to talk about the biggest trade in all of history. A trade that has brought hope and new life to millions upon millions of people. A trade in which one side gave up everything, so the other side could have it all.
Grading the Odell Beckham Jr. trade from Giants to Brown-Who won?