Show the following video [2:16; start at 0;16; stop at 2:00]:
Searching for Hidden Treasure in Michigan
This treasure hunter found relics with historical significance and insight about the past. The items found reveal something about different time periods and people who may have owned them.
- What might we learn from war artifacts like the ones shown in the video? (Answers will vary; we can learn about our country’s history; we can remember various wars and battles that are part of our history, etc.)
This treasure hunter enjoyed finding significant items from the past. Imagine a group of treasure hunters living in our town 150 years or more from now. Think about your daily schedule, where you are and what you do at various times on each day of the week.
- What might their fun-finds reveal about us and what we treasure? (Accept all reasonable responses.)
- If you dropped something you use at home on a weekend, something you really like, what might that be, and what will the treasure hunters learn about you? (Answers will vary.)
- If you dropped something when out with your friends at school or elsewhere on a weekday—something you like a lot—what might that be, and what will the treasure hunters learn about you? (Answers will vary.)
- If you dropped a list of things you want to have more than anything else in the world, what would that list reveal to the treasure hunters who find it? (Answers will vary.)
The things we own, the people we enjoy, and the activities we choose to spend time on are what we treasure in 2023. Let’s be treasure hunters this morning and look back to what Jesus explained about treasures.