Share the following video [2:15; stop at 1:50]:
Postal worker loses her job after throwing mail in dumpster.
In this video, we learn about the postal carrier’s “half-hearted attempt,” meaning that she didn’t put her whole heart or effort into her work. She delivered mail to other neighborhoods, but she didn’t give the job her all. Rather than finish the job well, she gave up at the end—which cost the worker her job!
Most postal carriers are dedicated to the postal service and to the community. They take their job seriously and complete the tasks they are given even in poor weather conditions.
- Why do you think this postal worker threw mail in the dumpster? (Answers will vary; allow students to speculate.)
- What might have motivated her to choose to do the job well instead, and to do it whole-heartedly? (Answers will vary.)
- What task(s) have you done half-heartedly? (Answers will vary: homework, cleaning bedroom, practicing an instrument, etc. Be prepared to share your own half-hearted task completions.)
- Why did you do the task(s) half-heartedly? (Some possible answers: in a hurry to play; did not like the task; felt tired; would rather do it my way; etc. Share your personal reasons for half-heartedness in your own life.)
- What motivates you to put your whole heart into what you do? (Answers will vary; tasks that are fun or enjoyable; rewards for completing the tasks, etc.)
There are times when we’ll be tempted to slack off and do things our way, not do them at all, or only do them half-heartedly. If our heart isn’t grounded in love for the One we’re serving, we may do things grudgingly. Let’s see what Saul’s life can tell us about the importance of obeying God with our whole heart.